Growth and Development

The 1980s



When a huge winter storm blew into Diego harbor in 1980, many of the personal and special sevices boats moored in the marina were in danger of damage. NTC security personnel and SSC students assisted the marina, but several free‑swinging bows dug severe gashes into the pier, causing several thousands of dollars in damage to the marina. A few weeks later another storm warning tookk effect and the word was passed that NTC and SSC personnel living off base Icould leave at 11:30 a.m. The exodus reuIted In a mass traffic jam on Rosecrans, as local business workers also left the area. NTC security personneI were posted at all gates and helped direct the traffic.

The CPO club was robbed on June 16, 1980, by three armed men who grabbed $6,200 from the club's safe. The men led NTC and San Diego police on a chase out the gates and into the Point Loma community. One man was caught and arrested; the other two escaped.

A few weeks later, several vending machines were vandalized and money boxes were stolen in five NTC buildings. The vandals were never caught.

By November, 1982, the Hoist was reporting that the recreation department was losing $ 1,000 per month in vending machine thefts and other break‑ins. Eventually the crime spree ended, but not before five separate robberies resulted Ina $3,952 loss.

San Diego rolled out the red carpet for a royal visit from England's Queen Elizabeth II as her yacht, HMY Britannia, sailed into San Diego harbor, Feb. 26, 1983. RTC provided a 27‑man honor guard, and the Navy Band performed, The recruits were chosen from three drill division companies and 'had from five to eight weeks of training.

Chief Petty Officer Delano Genee "Casey" Jones directed two gun crews to fire the 21 gun salute using NTC's two portable 40mm salute‑battery guns. The salute was fired as the queen's 412‑foot yacht passed Ballast Point. A second round of gun salutes was fired as she disembarked Britannia onto Broadway pier. The battery was moved from Ballast Point down to the Navy pier for the second salute.

In 1982, building 40 was demolished under a CNO pride and pro­fessionalism program designed to upgrade appearances of mili­tary bases around the county. The unused building was a 63‑foot high brick smoke built In 1942.

The area around gate one received a nautical touch when NTC Seabees used Self‑Help techniques to create a cement anchor to border a flower bed. The anchor was composed of 4.5 cubic yards of concrete and rose 18 inches yet only five inches protruded above ground. The Flowers were planted by AdCom's First Lieutenant Division.

As a result of this beautification, NTC won the 1983 CNO's Bronze Hammer Award for self‑help. The Bronze Hammer Award was established in 1972 to recognize activities that make outstanding contributions to quality of Navy life by improving living quarters and personnel support, welfare and recreation facilities utilizing self‑help. The biggest project Sailors helped out with was the construction of RTC Graduation Visitors' Park. More than 60 Sailors filled 2,400 cubic yards of earth to landscape the park. Other work included repairs to enlisted barracks and the renovation of the pedestrian walk‑thru at gate one.

Self‑Help Division received this award again for fiscal year 1987 for renovations to the Recruit Chapel, AKC and the Top Four Club.

SSC won the Chief of Naval Technical Training Silver Anchor Award for fiscal year 1988. This award is the runner‑up to the Golden Anchor Award, which is presented to commands for superior excellence in retention, career information and program management.

The following year, NTC was nominated as a finalist in the Capt. Edward

At a glance…

Jan. 11 ‑ Recruit review. held indoors due to inclement weather.

June Dress jumper 'crackerjacks' or bell bottoms re‑issued to recruits.
Aug. 18 Cmdr. Beth F. Coye, PSA's first C.0, retires.


Apr 10 MCPON Thomas S. Crow visits NTC; is guest speaker at CPO club.


March 17 SecNav John F. Lehman Jr. visits NTC.
March 19 M‑1 rifles implemented in recruit training
Dec. 21 Capt. Roberta Hazarrd (later Rear Adm.) relieves Capt. M. E. Fladager as AdCom C.O.


Feb. 26 Queen Elizabeth 11 visits San Diego.

April 4 NTC receives Equal Opportunity Award for 1982‑1983.

Oct. 28 celebrates 60th anniversary


Jan -
NTC awarded CNO Bronze Hammer Award for self‑help'.

April 16 - Fire damages Lace Auditorium. Damages set at $35,000

Oct. 20
Fire completely destroys base laundry. Damage's set at $1 million for structure $350,000 for equipment.


July 24
Adm. Chiles relieves Rear Adm. Norman D Campbell as center commander.


March 11
McDonald's restaurant opens, at NTC.

Aug. 1
John Finn Hall dedicated


Jan. 23
IC "A" School expands from eight to 22 weeks.

Sept. 25
The Honorable Maureen O'Connor, Mayor of San Diego, is reviewing official at recruit graduation


NTC receives second CNO Bronze Hammer Award

May 6
Supply Department receives Presidential Letter of Commendation and 'Presidential Management Award for customer service

July 8
North Chapel receives VVAVES stained! glass window

Oct 1
PSA formally disestablishes

Oct 21
NTC receives its, first Automatic Teller Machine

Oct. 28
NTC celebrates 65th anniversary


June 21
NTC wins second place in Capt. Edward F. Ney award.

April 27
Capt. Robert McClendon Jr. relieves Capt. Colin H. Saari as RTCs commanding officer


F. Ney Memorial Award for food service excellence. This was the first time NTC was nominated for this prestigious award, competing against Naval Station Norfolk, Va., in the finals for large shore category. These two commands surpassed 79 other Navy‑wide general messes to compete for the first place honors. On June 21‑ 1989, the evaluation board convened at NTC and inspected its galley and mess facilities, warehouses and administrative procedures. After the judging, NTC took second place behind Norfolk. In 1989, NTC had the third largest of the 685 general messes in the Navy.

Service School Command won the Chief of Naval Education and Training (CNET) Silver Anchor for large command retention excellence in FY‑ 1987. The Silver Anchor is the second place award given to the command with the highest retention rate. At that time, SSC had 35 career counselors on hand to advise Sailors on their careers. Factors that determined the award included training, community involvement, recognition and command morale.

In addition, Personnel Support Activity received two awards from CNET in the small command category: Silver Anchor Award for retention and the Management Excellence Award (training support category). The latter award recognized PSA's excellence in pay, personnel, transportation, quality of service, and positive life programs.

However, on Oct. 1, 1988, PSA formally disestablished and the facility transferred its functions to PSA San Diego, under the command of Capt. Anthony C. Sicarl. The disestablishment occurred in order to save money and manpower. In 1998, PSA had nine officers, 170 enlisted personnel and 88 civilian servicing 24 commands approximately 700 staff, transients and recruits. In the ten years since it began, PSA/NTC served 115,000 personnel and the pay disbursing function grew from $85 million in 1979 to more than $146 million in 1988.

New facilities were opening up in the 1980s. A new child care center opened at NTC in 1983. The center waslocated near gate one in building 11. This child care center remained here until a newer facility was opened in building 619, March 1992.

Construction began on a 720-person bach­elor enlisted quarters in February, 1985. Rear Adm. Norman Campbell, center com­mander and Capt. Ri­chard Schleicher, com­manding officer, SSC, held a ground break­ing ceremony on the area at the corner of Truxtun and Farragut Roads for the 584 bar­racks complex. Cost­ing $7.7 million, con­struction was com­pleted by June, 1987, and the new barracks housed mess manage­ment specialist and ma­chinery repairman stu­dents.

In 1987, another BEQ was built. This open-bay style bar­racks housed 360 Sail­ors and had a lounge, game room and laun­dry facilities.

The largest BOOST graduation ceremony was held on June 4, 1982 when 243 Sail­ors, Marines and Coast Guard personnel graduated following ten months of college preparation. This was the largest BOOST graduation up to that time.

Another Hepatitis case was confirmed at NTC in 1982. A Navy Exchange cafeteria employee contracted hepatitis in March and all cafeteria employees and military personnel who ate there received inoculations. No other cases were reported and no one was seri­ously hurt from the outbreak.

M inor upkeep on the USS Recruit began in 1981. The hull was refabricated and re­painted Navy haze gray. By April, 1982, the upkeep was com­plete. The newly-refit­ted land-locked ship in­cluded the addition of a helicopter landing area, internal class­room spaces and a pi­lot house. The ship was also equipped with devices which simu­lated ship engineering and propulsion sys­tems, communica­tions networks and au­thentic command and control stations.

Fire struck the Luce Auditorium April 6, 1984, heavily damag­ing the snack bar area and causing some damage to the stage, hallway and main en-

(Need first column of Page 116 and missing page 117)

The school was located be­hind building 5 1.

A huge celebration was held Oct. 28, 1983 com­memorating the 60th anni­versary of NTC. The day kicked off with a 10,000 meter and two‑mile fun‑run. The base held bus tours which took visitors to USS Recrult, RTC headquarters for a slide pre­sentation and other areas around the base.

SSC had several static dis­plays including demonstra­tions of Morse code and teletype, cake garnishing, sound‑powered telephones, and molding and sand casting. There was a huge cake cutting ceremony with Capt. H. L. Plowman, center com­mander; Airman Recruit Jay M. Hight, honor recruit; and CWO Raymond Littrell, USN (Ret.) and Chief Machinist Mate Luther M. Nelson, USN (Ret.) two 1923 RTC gradu­ates.

Five years later, Littrell re­turned for the 65th anniver­sary celebration. For this event, San Diego Charger Kellen Winslow was on hand at Ingram Plaza signing auto­graphs for Sailors before the opening ceremonies there. Along with Littrell and Winslow, other special guests were Gloria McColl, Deputy San Diego Mayor; Mrs. Pete Wilson; Rear Adm. W.E. Aut, former NTC center commander; and co‑chairman San Diego's Accolades committee Morris Wax.

Many distinguished officials sent proclamations to NTC thanking the base for it’s 65 years of service to San Diego and the Navy. Those sending proclamations included Congressman Duncan Hunter, Senator Pete Wilson, San Diego Mayor Maureen O'Connor, Chief of Naval Operations Admiral C.A.H. Trost, and the Secretary of the Navy.

In celebration of the 200th anniversary of the signing of the U. S. Constitution, Sailors

Ing together in 60 minutes.

NTC's basketball team captured the Naval Southern Regional Basketball Championships in January, 1984, with a win over Miramar, 69-56.

Roy Moore Jr., NTC's judo coach since 1959, retired In 1984 after 25 years of coaching. His career began as a wrestler and judo competitor In 1927.

Seaman Recruit Adrian L. Fender from company 135 was selected to carry the 1984 Olympic torch during a pass through San Diego. He made a one‑kilometer up‑hill jog on July 24 near Escondido and practiced for the torch relay by running with a flashlight on Preble Field.

In 1987 NTC started a component command competition called the *NTC Commander’s Cup." The award was given for athletic excellence. SSC was the recipient of the first commander's cup. SSC repeated as champions again in 1988.

A new club opened at NTC in 1989. Section 193 was an all‑hands sports bar that opened In building 193 In June.

Redd Foxx of TV's "Sanford and Son" visited and toured the base in August, 1980. He was greeted by re­cruits at Camp Nimitz, had lunch In the SSC ward­room and signed the initiation charge books of several prospective chief petty of­ficers.

Singer/Ac­tress Tina Turner came to NTC to see her son, Craig R Turner, gradu­ate from RTC Company 903, Feb. 27, 198 1. Craig later at­tended Radio­man "A" school.

The brother of Miss America, 1982 was in boot camp when his sister, Elizabeth Ward was crowned. Seaman Recruit Van Ward was training with company 165 and could not watch the pageant on television. Following his graduation on Sept. 18, 198 1, he flew to Los Angeles to meet her where she was appearing on a game show.

As a new decade closed in, the first round of base closure recommenda­tions was announced. NTC was not on the list ‑ yet.